Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Unbelievable

I awoke on the morning of October 23rd in a good mood. I don't mean, "Hey I feel like smiling today" good mood. I mean a total, no holds barred, " I won the lottery, I got a new sports car, I was voted Ms. America, employee of the month and I won the Nobel Prize!!" kind of good mood. If you could have seen me you would have had to pick your jaw off the floor.

I went to visit my friend Carol. On a whim. Her hubby, John and I have always had this "I'm the bigger smartass" kind of relationship. Sharing jabs but with affection. I couldn't rise to the challenge that day. The smile would not unscrew from my face! He kept after me for about an hour or so, then finally asked this question, "You are boring when you are so damn happy, what the hell is wrong with you?" He then stormed from the room to go deal with something out in the garage.

Carol, on the other hand kept staring at me like I was on drugs. She didn't say anything at first, but she finally made her observance known that I was different than usual. I told her I didn't know what was going on. No matter how hard I tried I simply couldn't come up with a depressing thought. My psoriasis didn't bother me, my pains were gone, so I accredited my new found joy to just a good day. The rest of the visit was a haze of giggles and laughs, jokes and smiles with a ton of optimism pouring from my every sentence. As I was about to leave when Carol asked me this," Could you be pregnant?" I told her no, with the first frown of the day and headed home.

That question haunted me for the next week. On the 10th of November during a phone conversation with Carol, I told her I was late. She almost flew through the phone in excitement. I explained that a missed or late period was normal for me. She asked," Then why did you bring it up?" I didn't know. Carol made me promise that I would go get a prego test and take it then call her back. I was good to my word. I bought one, but didn't have the guts to take it for another two days. She hounded me daily!

On November 12th at about 6 am, Carol called me and without even a good morning she rattled off with, "Today you will take that test and you will do it now. Morning pee is the best detectable so go, leave me on hold and go!" I thought she was nuts!! Brushing her off for yet another day because I didn't have the guts to pee on a stick alone. I waited till my husband got home from work.

It was around 8pm that evening when I did it. I peed on the stick. I left it in the bathroom, went out and tried to focus on anything else. When the little timer I set beeped, I sent my husband to check the results. He walked in the bathroom, made a little squeek sound and called me in. I looked at the stick in disbelief. It must be a mistake. No way. I grabbed the second test left in the box and peed on it. It almost instantly turned into a positive result.

Crying, I held onto my husband chanting," I am a mommy, I am a mommy."

I called Carol. She screamed so loud I almost dropped the phone! See, Carol had trouble getting pregnant too, still she was meant to be a mommy. Apparently I was too.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know you and I got tears of joy!

    Shan :+)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Miracle we never know when it will come.,I'm sorry I said like this..

    ReplyDelete