Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Best Day Ever, continued

I finally got my way. I was back in my room with my baby, oh, and my husband was there too. I suppose it is kinda funny and kinda sad. Instantly my husband went from being in the forefront of my day to becoming this blur in the background. That actually sounds mean doesn't it? I didn't stop loving him, I didn't stop counting on him or believing in him. Somewhere in my body there was a "click" the moment I heard that baby cry and I switched into "mommy" and all of my heart, love, soul and energy went into the baby. Jason wasn't forgotten, simply put aside for a moment.

Jason handed me the baby after I got settled in. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't a dream. I really have a beautiful baby boy in my arms. He is a perfect little being and I am so blessed to be his mommy. I asked about his little exam. Jason said he was with him the whole time. Everything checked out. He scored 9 out of 10 on the Apgar test. He weighed 6lbs 15oz and was 19 inches long. I was so relieved. I was scared about them taking him early. What if his lungs weren't ready? Thankfully he turned out perfect and healthy.

I snuggled him close and finally let myself sleep. I doubt I slept deep enough to please the doctors, but I rested and that was all I needed.

I awoke to a strange nurse attempting to take the baby from my sleeping arms at about 10pm, I had been sleeping for about 4 hours or so. Apparently my "mommy" mouth hadn't developed because I screamed at her, " What the fuck do you think you are doing, get the hell away from me!" She took a step back in shock. A frown grew on her face, an angry frown and she tried to explain that she needed to check out the baby again for his chart. I understand that they want to keep tabs on the baby, but who can believe these people are dumb enough to attempt to take a baby out of the arms of his mother without waking her first. I guess I was still combative, you think?

I told her to examine the baby in the room in that little crib/table thingie they brought him in on. She told me it is easier to take him to the nursery. I told her no. She left. This whole exchange woke Jason and he was trying to calm me down. He offered to accompany the baby to the nursery while they did what needed to be done. I told him no. Eventually, a different, older, seasoned nurse came in, spoke with me calmly and did the exam in the room. Everything was fine. She then asked if I had attempted to breast feed. I told her no. We had all been asleep pretty much since we all got back together in the room.

She suggested I try. The baby was pissed about being poked again and he was crying but I was able to get him wrestled into position. Breastfeeding is a lot harder than it looks. He BIT ME! Ow! Then he kinda latched on and calmed down. The nurse asked me if we had decided on a name. I looked at Jason. He asked, "Does he look like a Kenneth to you?" I looked down and teared up instantly. It was perfect. A strong name, a peaceful name, a strong baby, a beautiful baby. I said, "Yes, Kenneth Henry. But let's call him Kenny."

4 comments:

  1. you are way to funny...but yes i am sure that did scare the you know what right outta ya!!!!
    oh breast feeding..how did that go???? not for me that is all i have to say!!!! so how many nurses have you broke in by this time??? i don't think you would be "the text book patient"...hahaha!!!! it is just so awesome to see how this made you blossom as a person...and i am only reading the story...i am sure to see you was quite a site!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy
    I didn't keep track of the nurses. LOL I guess I didn't care who go mad at me and who didn't. I did blossom. I went from feeling intimidated by the medical profession to intimidating them! I kept thinking "how many poor mothers let these nurses get away with this kind of shit!" I wondered if there were women in the other rooms feeling depressed because some idiot came in and took thier baby away. Wait til tomorrow. I am going to tell the breastfeeding story. you think I was pissed at the nurses before? Ha. I love that you are reading this and seeing it for what it is. It was a real transformation for me on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. paula...i just love the fact that you are who you are....no pretty fluffy foo foo.....you just tell it like it is....and i LOVE that!!!! i am just sooooo happy for you...what child would not want a mother as loving as you!!! wow!!!! i think so many of us take being a mother for granted...you have opened my eyes about that!!! and i thank you for that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy
    You made me tear up! How sweet of you. I spent so many years looking at women wondering why they got to be a mommy and I didn't. I hated going to the obgyn and watching all the prego's in the waiting room knowing down deep I will never feel the feeling of having a baby growing inside me, while I sat there just hoping that this doctor can give me an answer. I envied those women. Sometimes I almost hated those women. I know now that I was selfish in those moments.

    ReplyDelete