Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dancing Gummy Bear

It is appointment day. I pack up Kenny and his travel gear and head out the door. Jason met me at the doc's office taking as little time as possible from work. He had already used up most of his vacation time taking care of me when I was sick.

We hadn't talked too much in the last couple days. We were both still in shock! We knew it was possible because we tossed the condoms out back in February, but somewhere in the back of my mind I figured it would be just as hard to get pregnant the second time as it was the first. I mean look at the facts, it took a surgery to remove damaged tissue to get me knocked up before. Since I had a C-section, wouldn't that damage tissue, wouldn't that mean I had to have that removed to get knocked up again? The great condom toss was a mutual decision. We didn't have to worry about birth control from day one since all the doctors said getting pregnant was impossible, so we weren't used to them. They honestly became a turn off. Don't get me wrong, I am all in for birth control. Yet, we just didn't like them.

I was extremely excited to be pregnant again. Seriously. I LOVED being pregnant the first time. I love everything about it. I just wasn't expecting it. I think Jason was excited too. For the time being though, we were just in a state of utter shock.

Walking into the OBGYN's office for the first time in about 8 months was a little unnerving. Almost a de-ja-voo thing. Jason looked a little nervous too. Kenny loved it. Maybe pregnant people have an aura about them that attracts kids...maybe Kenny is just a big flirt. Regardless, he was wrestling out of our arms to crawl around the floor. He would find a lady and give her his big "goo goo" eyes. She would coo at him and then he would move to the next. Luckily our wait wasn't long.

The nurse set me up on the table. Took my BP, pulse...etc. She asked me if we planned this. Are you kidding? Did you not hear me? We didn't have sex!! She humored me with a smile then went into the whole Q&A about when was my last period...April 3rd. Am I on any medications...No. WAIT Holy Shit! I was sick for most of April. I was on Codine, Steroids, Anitbiotics! NO NO NO! These medications aren't OK for a baby! There is going to be something wrong with the baby!! I started to cry. She left to get the doctor.

Doc Chacon came in smiling. Tears were rolling down my face! He told me that the medications I was on doesn't mean the baby will have problems. He felt around my belly, calculated the due date according to my cycle...January 10th. I got a warning about getting pregnant so soon after a C-Section. He explained a bunch of other stuff too. I wasn't listening. My mind was focused on two things. First. WE DIDN'T HAVE SEX! Second. THE MEDICATIONS!! This baby is going to have two heads and five arms!!

Doc Chacon let me go through my little episode. He then told me he wanted to do an internal ultrasound to get a better "look at things." He left to get the nurse. I told Jason to hand me Kenny. I cuddled him and kissed him to calm myself down. He looked at my face, touched one of the tears rolling down my nose then laughed. He knew what I needed. What an angel.

The nurse, Kelly came in and led us to another room. We filed in, set down our baby gear then she explained I was to get undressed from the waist down. That is when it hit me. INTERNAL ultlrasound. Oh Great!! Oh Joy!! Time for the stick camera!! Whoo Hoo. I looked at Kenny and prepared myself for the "fun." I told myself that at least I would be able to see the little peanut.

Peanut. Nope, no peanut. There was no peanut. After Chacon came in and got his wand from hell into position, he giggled. I gave him a dirty look. He turned the video screen to me and said," looks like you had sex to me." There was no peanut. What I saw on the screen was a little gummy bear. You could make out the little nubs of developing arms and legs...and not only that. IT WAS DANCING! I know that sounds nuts. But you know me. It was really dancing. it was waving the little nubs, kicking it's little leg nubs and jiggling back and forth. I laughed. Jason laughed. Doc and nurse laughed. Even Kenny laughed.

Chacon told the nurse to change the due date to Jan 6th. My Grandma's Birthday!!! He told me it looks like I got pregnant soon after my last period. That meant I was on every medication and sick as a dog!! Wait, we didn't have sex!! I was dying!! He smiled and told me that everything looked fine. The baby looked to be on track to develop just fine. I was so elated to see this sweet little spirit I let myself let go of my paranoia. It was dancing!! We couldn't get a picture printout. Apparently the machine he used didn't have a printer. Crap. Still, I will never forget that vision. A beautiful gummy bear.... dancing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man! I have a 7 1/2 month old daughter, and my husband and I have decided that we'll probably try next summer for a third child (along with the 15 year old son). I cannot even imagine what kind of shock I would feel if I got pregnant right now!

    And I'm with you on the condoms... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan
    Part of me wanted another one right away for the closeness. My sister and I are 5 yrs apart and we always felt like we were on different planets. I wanted my kids to not only play with eachother, but feel like best friends. Believe it or not, I feel like I am ready for another one. Jason just looks at me like I have lost my mind. LOL I think I could be pregnant for the rest of my life and be the happiest chick on the planet. I just don't want to buy a minivan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved being pregnant too!!!! but how cute is that.....gummy bear....is that her nick name???
    i agree with the above comment...please no mini van....anything but a minivan!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy
    She totally looked like a gummy bear. When I tell people that they look at me like I am making it up. I remember a little gummy bear dancing on an orange and black screen. I loved it.

    As for her nickname...well, that has changed over time. In good times we call her sweet Felicia or angel girl ie, " Kiss sweet Felicia good night daddy." During the bad times (like now, she thinks she is two going on 16 ) we call her it. ie "Kiss it goodnight daddy and hurry before she tries to pull my eyelashes off again"

    ReplyDelete